Saturday 16 April 2011

Ness 3

Hubris  i.e. (extreme haughtiness, pride or arrogance.)


A few years back two of my Lewis friends took me to a (short-lived) restaurant that perched over the harbour at Port of Ness.

They were accommodating me and my eccentricities for 3 or 4 days, So I said that if we went eating somewhere good, I would pay for the meal.

It was a very good meal.


The main waitress serving us was, I guess, about 19-yrs-old or so. When I asked for a coffee at the end of the meal, she said “What kind: espresso, cappuccino etc?” I said “When I lived here 40 years ago, cappuccino was unknown in Ness”. She said to me “I think that you will find, sir, that quite a lot of things have changed in Ness in the last 40 years”

When I then picked up the tab at the end of the meal, I said to her “The last time I paid for fish at Port of Ness it was a half-crown for a bucket of fish. I see prices have gone up a little bit since then”.  She smiled benevolently and was totally unphased as she took my MasterCard.


Not a form of currency that could have been used in the Lionel bothan in the 1950s

No comments:

Post a Comment